Deputy Director at The Centre for Social Research (CSR) - RE-ADVERTISED
Applications are invited from suitably qualified candidates to fill the vacant position of DEPUTY DIRECTOR at the Centre for Social Research, Chancellor College in Zomba.
Qualifications and Attributes
Applicants should possess the following qualifications and attributes:
- A PhD in the Social Sciences plus, at least three years, practical experience in research management and implementation.
- Superior conceptual, analytical, technical and human relations skills
- Self-starter and driven working with as minimum supervision as possible.
- Results and outcomes orientated in the management and execution of tasks and responsibilities
- Must be members of staff currently serving in the University of Malawi.
Duties and Responsibilities
- The Deputy Director deputizes and automatically stands in for the Director on all official matters that require immediate attention, action, approval or disapproval in his or her absence. However, the Deputy Director’s substantive role is the Head of Research and Training at CSR. In this regard, the incumbent is therefore directly responsible for the following:
- Presiding over the day-to-day operationalization and implementation of the Strategic Plan in order for CSR to fulfil its priority goals and objectives.
- Thinking creatively about possible new approaches to ensure successful delivery of CSR’s research, consultancy, short course training and out-reach strategies distilled out of the overall strategic plan.
- Managing the annual planning cycle for research, consultancy, short course training and outreach in close consultation with the Director ensuring that detailed plans are in line with the resource mobilization prospects.
- Assisting the Director supervise Research Fellows in the formulation, design and conduct of research studies, consultancies, training programmes and other relevant development projects.
- Overseeing the day-to-day operation of the project staff and serving as a mentor, coach and guide to Research Fellows particularly with regard to execution of research projects, consultancies and short courses.
- Checking on progress of projects by reading progress reports, reminding Principal Investigators (PIs) to produce progress reports and visiting project staff in the field as a matter of routine.
- Briefing the Director on project progress on the basis of the PI’s reports (or lack thereof) and his/her personal visits to the field.
- Taking over the management of a project, when need arises particularly when the Research Fellows fail to deliver to required standards or within the stipulated time period.
- Assisting the Director in processing all research/consultancy proposals by and from Research Fellows.
- Assisting and advising the Director on quality assurance of all research report.
- Liaising with key stakeholders to develop and maintain effective professional working relationships with research partners, national and international funding agencies.
- Assisting the Director in processing contracts as well as processing the affiliation of visiting Research Fellows.
Application letters with a detailed Curriculum Vitae (CV) plus names of three traceable referees should be sent to:
P O Box 280